Author Topic: Space "blankets" as a method of defeating IR detection  (Read 2390 times)

Offline Uncle Ethan

• I'm really hoping Palin/McCain takes the WH
Space "blankets" as a method of defeating IR detection
« on: October 20, 2008, 09:36:47 PM »
Does anyone have any info/experience regarding the light plastic "space blankets" used in survival kits as a means of defeating IR detection?  I know it reflects the body heat back into the body area instead of letting it radiate- but is that sufficient to prevent detection by IR units designed to find insurgents?  Would doubling the blanket for more thickness provide enough blockage to prevent detection? ???
Life Member NRA-

Colt- The original point and click interface-

"He has all the virtues I dislike, and none of the vices I admire."  -Winston Churchill

Offline Beprepared

• Grammaton Cleric
  • Executive Member
Re: Space "blankets" as a method of defeating IR detection
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 09:43:22 PM »
Speaking without the benifit of an IR scope... (former FD had one, we looked for deer with it :2fun:)

With the mil thickness of the "emergency blanket" I would expect you will have an IR signiture with it, although less pronounced.

A second thickness would help. A covering of leaves even better.
Lord, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be 'if only I had my gun'; and Lord if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass. Amen.

Offline BaldDragn

• RABID BANNER
  • Forum Moderator
  • CAUTION: CONTENTS MAY BE UNSTABLE. DO NOT AGITATE
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 12:36:24 PM »
Mythbusters...

They used a regular bed sheet held between themselves and an IR camera to show that the sheet was sufficient to block the IR signature, effectively "hiding" them from an IR motion detector alarm.

I would think the space blanket would work IF it did not come in contact with your skin. That would be the trick, to make sure you don't touch it.

I'd be willing to bet a decent layer of wool and a space blanket wound do the trick.

Hopefully you don't need to be quite while performing this trick because I haven't seen a space blanket yet that didn't make a ton of noise.
I died a FREE MAN! - this will be my epitaph, just not soon... hopefuly

In personal conduct be always polite but never obsequious. None will respect you more than you respect yourself. Avoid quarrels as long as you can without yielding to imposition. But sustain your manhood always. Never bring a suit in law for assault and battery or for defamation. The law affords no remedy for such outrages that can satisfy the feeling of a true man. Never wound the feelings of others. Never brook wanton outrage upon your own feelings. If you ever have to vindicate your feeling or defend your honor, do it calmly. If angry at first, wait till your wrath cools before you proceed. (Last words to Andrew Jackson from his Mother)

Offline Mikeyboy

• Executive Member
  • be prepared for anything
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 12:58:14 PM »
Soldier #1 : Do you see that big silver thing about 200 yards over there?

Soldier #2: Yea, nothing is showing up on the IR, but I can see it clear as day.

Soldier #1: do me a favor, fire a couple of rounds at it and make sure it not some guy hiding under a mylar survival blanket.

:2fun: