Author Topic: Hydroponic garden/fish farm  (Read 5935 times)

Offline Mikeyboy

• Executive Member
  • be prepared for anything
Hydroponic garden/fish farm
« on: April 18, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
This is a neat concept. You have a talapia farm and use gravel beds to filter the tank, while growing veggies hydroponicly in the gravel beds.  

The website claims that in just a 6' x 8' space you can grow 400 vegetables and 100 pounds of fish.

http://www.portablefarms.com/index.php

Offline jojo

• I'm new here, dont hurt me.
Re: Hydroponic garden/fish farm
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 11:48:40 AM »
Interesting, that is quite a concept and I can see how it would be a nice to have system, but I could never get to a price. I must admit, that didn't sit well with me.

great concept though, I just wish I lived in an area where I could try it.

Pray for obama., Psalm 109:8

An untrustworthy friend is the worst kind of enemy.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
Albert Einstein

Offline Fenix

• Armalite-and-Ballot Box Strategy Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 11:42:57 PM »
I'm taking a serious look into this. I originally was planning on raising tilapia in a sheltered pond, but this seems like a way to get more out of them than just the fish. I don't know yet if I'll be buying a kit or building my own, this requires a lot of study.

Offline Beprepared

• Grammaton Cleric
  • Executive Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 10:07:00 AM »
I like that he is honest about why he has not gione public with it sooner. As any serious aquarium person can tell you pumps can be a real hassle. Ad to that the fact that he has a timed release system on these pumps for the water and you get real problems.

Ever since I first saw hydroponics demostrated in Epcot, I have been facinated with the idea. Combine this with the fact that you can run it on 180w of solar panels (not that bad really) and you have a pretty self-sustaining food source (extra water needed of course).

I might have to call for a quote! :thu:
Lord, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me. Grant me victory over my foes and those that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be 'if only I had my gun'; and Lord if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass. Amen.

Offline 06

• I'm new here, dont hurt me.
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 10:54:35 PM »
"Indy" will be doing a hydroponics "class" this week end at the gathering. 24-26 April '09.  wc

Offline NoGoyGunBoy

• Executive Member
  • Fat Man, or Little Boy?
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 04:41:48 PM »
Hydroponics and Aquaponics are very different systems.  Most hydroponics use liquid concentrates to deliver nutrients to the plants without soil.  Aquaponics has the fish droppings nourish the plants, which filters the water.  Aponics is much closer to a closed loop, which means better self-sufficiency.
You can wash it down with a cool glass of water, or you can have it inserted rectally--your choice.

But you WILL be taking the Red pill.

Offline PointyEnd4You

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 07:05:35 PM »
I have done quite a bit of searching around in regards to the Portable farms  system. Short of calling them it was indeed difficult to find a price. Their system or one like it really appeals to me and i did quite a bit of looking around. about 2 afternoons' worth heh.

BUT in doing so
I did however find a place that listed the price for the two smallest systems...

http://www.thefuelman.com/Super_fuel_crops/portablefarm.html

6'x8' = 1999.00  - 400 veggies 100lb fish

10'x20' = 2999.00  - 1100 veggies 400lb fish

I really considering this guys system or building/getting info to build my own. I live on the East Coast, basically in the Poconos' of Pennsylvania so the winters are freezy cold and snow filled. There are 4 different ski resorts within an hour drive of my house. So, I would more then likely need, a super heated green house (with grow lights)or a heated basement system with grow lights.  Currently I am leaning towards a basement system, as it would require less initial cost for building and for heating.  
I don't care that fish don't fart, I do care that they don't make noise, and they won't have nasty mercury and stuff in them so I could eat the almost every day! Instead of only once or twice a week "to be safe"

Pointy

EDIT

Oh yea, the other thing I would love to know about is how successful were/are these "Portable Farms" in the North East or better yet a Basement in the North East. That being the probable location where I live, as building a green house and heating / insulating it would be mandatory and also add substantially to the cost of any system I would build or buy.
All of the examples listed were in super sunny warm southern Cali.

Offline NoGoyGunBoy

• Executive Member
  • Fat Man, or Little Boy?
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 02:47:48 AM »
Fuel Man has an interesting system, Pointy, but I'd want to talk to some of the early adopters. 
You can wash it down with a cool glass of water, or you can have it inserted rectally--your choice.

But you WILL be taking the Red pill.

Offline Mikeyboy

• Executive Member
  • be prepared for anything
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 09:00:22 AM »
I have done quite a bit of searching around in regards to the Portable farms  system. Short of calling them it was indeed difficult to find a price. Their system or one like it really appeals to me and i did quite a bit of looking around. about 2 afternoons' worth heh.

BUT in doing so
I did however find a place that listed the price for the two smallest systems...

http://www.thefuelman.com/Super_fuel_crops/portablefarm.html

6'x8' = 1999.00  - 400 veggies 100lb fish

10'x20' = 2999.00  - 1100 veggies 400lb fish

I really considering this guys system or building/getting info to build my own. I live on the East Coast, basically in the Poconos' of Pennsylvania so the winters are freezy cold and snow filled. There are 4 different ski resorts within an hour drive of my house. So, I would more then likely need, a super heated green house (with grow lights)or a heated basement system with grow lights.  Currently I am leaning towards a basement system, as it would require less initial cost for building and for heating. 
I don't care that fish don't fart, I do care that they don't make noise, and they won't have nasty mercury and stuff in them so I could eat the almost every day! Instead of only once or twice a week "to be safe"

Pointy

Yea that is way too pricey. You could away start off small and cheap just to get the concept down and perfect a DIY system. I was thinking of maybe a 20 gallon fish tank,  with a jury rigged fish tank filter, minus the filter, dumping waste water from the fish tank into a slanted tray of pea gravel. At the bottom of the tray you have drain holes going into a catch tank, and a pump that takes the water back to the fish tank to complete the circuit. The problem is flow, everything needs to be balanced and have enough water. You got to get it just right so nothing overflows or dries out. Also the returning water has to be clean enough in its return so your not overwhelming the fish with their own waste.   

I think once you can perfect a small system that maybe can keep a few fish and plants alive, you can then expand on it by making it bigger or making multiple small ones.

Offline PointyEnd4You

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 12:32:43 AM »
Fuel Man has an interesting system, Pointy, but I'd want to talk to some of the early adopters.  

So would I,
It seems that all of the listings of people to contact from Portable farms, are REALLY new, like only this year, maybe last. Fuel man was the only site I found any type of price listed. I agree 2+ thousand dollars is real expensive. I also saw a post somewhere stating that some of the people selling "Portable Farms" charge 5,000 for the small systems ... yeach. (cant find the link to that post ATM)

Here is a link I found to an old article (1973) about raising catfish in a 55 gallon barrel, and using a second 55 gallon drum to raise worms to feed them.
add in two old doors a window and a water pump and away you go.

http://www.kurtsaxon.com/foods007.htm

Pointy

opps ... edited the wrong post

EDIT

Oh yea, the other thing I would love to know about is how successful were/are these "Portable Farms" in the North East or better yet a Basement in the North East. That being the probable location where I live, as building a green house and heating / insulating it would be mandatory and also add substantially to the cost of any system I would build or buy.
All of the examples listed were in super sunny warm southern Cali.

Offline Fenix

• Armalite-and-Ballot Box Strategy Supporter
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 01:42:08 AM »
You might be getting a DIY system step-by-step from me once I'm done with the flooring in my new house. I think I've found the perfect tanks, now I'm just thinking of the most efficient way to set up the plant beds. However, if anyone has any experience or knowledge in building greenhouses, I'd be open to their ideas.

Offline Ruhk

• 10ply
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 11:06:18 PM »
not to revive a dead horse, but Autopots (as I had first come to know about hydro-and aquaponics systems) have ALWAYS captured my attention.
http://www.autopotgarden.com/

Another interesting concept that caught my eye, is this setup; called a Strawberry tower
http://synaptoman.wordpress.com/2008/04/15/aquaponics-101-strawberry-towers/

This concept could be adapted to use larger pipes, and possibly adapted to take its water from a house gutter system. I like strawberries, but one would think that something more robust could be grown that would be easier to sustain. My wife is a vegetarian, so anything I can find to feed her in a SHTF long term (but not teotwawki) situation is good.

As for Aquaponic systems using fish to feed the plants: Depending on your needs, and whether you intend to EAT the fish, you could use large KOI or some gnarly CARP to produce massive amounts of plant food. In turn, you can grow (i cant remember the name of the plant @ the moment, but if pressed I can produce the papers for this) a low hanging plant that the fish can survive on. BAM. Infinite loop of f00d :P

A good tank to hold the fish is the large square plastic "COMBO" container. Rubbermaid commercial sells these, they are used a lot in meat processing plants. another name for this container is "inedible combo" as its used to hold inedible parts that are destined for the meat recycler rather than any meats intended for future consumption. There is no reason why these containers are used for inedible stuff other than a method of NEVER CONFUSING BAD MEAT FOR GOOD.

I don't like the taste of fish that much, at least not enough to harvest tilapia or perch.
As our enemies have found we can reason like men, so now let us show them we can fight like men also.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline BaldDragn

• RABID BANNER
  • Forum Moderator
  • CAUTION: CONTENTS MAY BE UNSTABLE. DO NOT AGITATE
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 01:31:01 AM »
I like the strawberry pot pipe idea. I'm working on a micro aquaponics system the will run off a small solar panel and I think those pipes will work well to decrease the size of the footprint.

As I finalize the design I'll post some photos.
I died a FREE MAN! - this will be my epitaph, just not soon... hopefuly

In personal conduct be always polite but never obsequious. None will respect you more than you respect yourself. Avoid quarrels as long as you can without yielding to imposition. But sustain your manhood always. Never bring a suit in law for assault and battery or for defamation. The law affords no remedy for such outrages that can satisfy the feeling of a true man. Never wound the feelings of others. Never brook wanton outrage upon your own feelings. If you ever have to vindicate your feeling or defend your honor, do it calmly. If angry at first, wait till your wrath cools before you proceed. (Last words to Andrew Jackson from his Mother)